05 Jul Differentiated Service Delivery in High HIV Burden Settings: A Tool for Estimating Human Resource Needs
With funding from PEPFAR, HRH2030 has developed, piloted, and field-tested this tool to help health facility staff and district health management teams optimize their health workforce for the roll-out of “Test and Start” utilizing differentiated service delivery (DSD) models. This HRH optimization tool helps identify and address staffing gaps by showing decision-makers the impact of reorganizing service delivery on the workforce. Staffing gaps can be effectively addressed by sharing tasks among cadres and by offering stable clients participation in models of care that better meet their needs and offer quality services while requiring fewer interactions with health facilities.
What does the tool do?
The tool enables facility managers (site level) and program planners (above site) to estimate human resource requirements for different DSD models, including:
- Staffing needs for implementing one or a combination of HIV service delivery models
- Efficient antiretroviral therapy (ART) task distribution among existing health workers to implement DSD
- Configuration of DSD and task-shifting/sharing (reassigning tasks from one health worker cadre/type to another) to reduce human resource imbalances (excesses or gaps)
- Organization of site-level services to meet daily client needs (infrastructure, work hours, staffing)
Outputs from the tool enable users to make informed decisions for maximizing the use of the available workforce and to generate estimates of additional human resources needs where appropriate. More information about the tool is available here or by accessing the associated content below.
- Tool for Estimating HRH Requirements for Implementing Differentiated ART Service Delivery in High HIV Burden Settings. Version 1.010 is a major update that incorporates user feedback from trainings in Cote d’Ivoire, South Africa and Zambia and improves users’ experience. (English, French; Version 1.010, updated 12/04/2018 – requires Excel 2010 or later)
- Clinic Task-Shifting and Model-Shifting Case Study (English, French; updated 12/04/2018)
- User Guide (English, French)
- Reference Guide
Resource Type: Tool
Topic: Performance & Productivity, HRIS and health workforce data, HIV/AIDSDOWNLOAD Télécharger